Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Shopping on a Budget - Open Your Closet to New Opportunities



With the economy the way it is these days, I often feel guilty when purchasing additional clothing that, I know deep down, I don't need. I will be sharing addition tips in future blogs on how to stay trendy and keep your wardrobe fresh, while saving money.

Today I'm going to share with everyone how I use media like Pinterest and fashion magazines to pick out my daily outfits and keep my looks fresh without investing in new pieces for my wardrobe. 

I subscribe to multiple magazines, some of my favorites being People Style Watch, Lucky, Glamour, and Elle, and look forward to sitting down and diving into the latest and greatest looks! 

    

I pull out the pages that contain an outfit that I love and plan to recreate. I keep an eye of out for outfits that have pieces that I know are already in my closet. If there is an outfit that you love, but don't have any of the piece to put it together, get rid of it and move on. Outfits are a dime a dozen, so you can always work with what you already have.

I keep these pages handy when I need a quick outfit and don't have time in the morning to "think".

I've lucked out through the years because I consider myself a "controlled clothing hoarder". My closet is usually busting at the seams and the chance that I even wear 1/3 of my wardrobe is unlikely. I've always had a hard time getting rid of a piece that I think "might come back in style". As they say in the final pages of People Style Watch, "What's old is new again", my luck would have it that I would donate an article of clothing one day and the next day I see the same style on the cover of Glamour :)

Below are a couple outfits I put together:

Bandage Pencil Skirt - BCBG MAXAZRIA
Silk Top - Banana Republic
White Blazer - Banana Republic
Platform Heels - Sam Edelman
I found this outfit on Pinterest and loved the pencil skirt and the splash of color in this outfit. Unfortunately, I don't own a hot pink pencil skirt, but I DO own a neutral pencil skirt and a fairly aged hot pink silk top, that made the perfect pair to capture a similar look. I threw over a white blazer and added a pair of platform heels.

Tiered Skirt - White House Black Market
Pleated Top - Vintage
Handbag - Cole Haan
Sunglasses - Burberry
Wedged Heels - Tory Burch
I found this picture in a People Style Watch Magazine and was immediately drawn to it because I have purposely not donated my black tiered skirt due to the fear that I could possibly wear it again. 

When looking at this outfit I knew I had multiple white collared shirts to chose from because I work in a business environment every day. Ashley Olsen is wearing this look with flats, which is super cute as well, but I'm always looking for an excuse to wear wedges because, not only do they give me additional height, they are super comfortable. 

Every fashionista should have a brown bag and big shades to pair with this outfit. If you don't, it might be a good investment when your budget allows (more on this in the future...).

Now pull out those magazines, surf Pinterest and look at your closet in a new light!

Happy Hobbying (and Saving)!
The Self-Proclaimed, Modern Day Renaissance Woman


2 comments:

  1. I love the "controlled clothing hoarder" title :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :) I may have to run with that one! Keep reading :)

      -MDRW

      Delete