Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Be A Cake Boss...Cupcake Decorating Made Easy



I recently attended a Cupcake Decorating class at Give Me Sugar with my group of girlfriends for a portion of a friends bachelorette party. We had such a good time and the booze was flowing, so I'm surprised I even managed to absorb some of the great things we learned!

It was much to my surprise that when making cupcakes for my boyfriends birthday, I was able to make "professional" looking cupcakes rather quickly!

All it takes is:
 - A decorating start up kit (I got the one by Wilton for $10. That included the tips and bags)
 - White Frosting
 - Food Coloring
 - Marshmallows
 - Colored Sugar
 - Cupcake Mix, of course

My boyfriend loves Reese's Pieces, so I put some in the cupcake batter and I used them to inspire my decoration theme. I colored the frosting yellow and orange and used the pieces as part of the "flowers".
                                                                                                                                                                

I used the different tips provided in the decorating start up kit to easily frost the cupcakes, forget using a knife and ripping up the top of the cupcake. Just use your decorating tip to frost the top is a swirl motion.


I used the marshmallows as the petals. This is much easier then it looks. Just cut the mini marshallows in half on a diagonal, so the you get little triangles. This will leave you with a stick side of the mallow. Dip this portion into colored sugar and place on top of your frosting in the shape of a flower.
*Note, you will want to put the marshmallows on the cupcake as soon as it is frosted to ensure that is sticks.



Piece of "cake"? Right?


I think the response I got for these cupcakes were "best cupcake I ever had",
but then again he has to say that, right? :)

Happy Hobbying,
The Self Proclaimed, Modern Day Renaissance Woman


No comments:

Post a Comment