Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Mad About Mason Jars



Like the saying goes, "what's old is new again." This can be applied to many trends even beyond fashion. In today's case, it's all about the mason jar and taking something that was historically used for preserving, well, preserves and jams, and finding new purposes for it! I call it "upcycling." It's the same as recycling, but you are essentially getting an "upgrade" with your new and improved product!

What I love about the mason jar is that the opportunities for creativity are endless! You can use it to solve organization havoc at home or as part of your decor for a rustic, lunch in the country motif.

You will be seeing the "mason" make many cameo appearances throughout my blog, but for today I'm going to show you a fun Spring project that makes you feel good and leaves your home smelling amazing!

For my sister's bridal shower, I made these as a compliment to the centerpieces, more on the shower decor to come. They are mason jars that I preordered from my local hardware store (much cheaper than a craft store) and used as flower pots! Not only are these cute as a button, but the clear glass allows you to see the roots, which makes this project that much "greener."

In this case, I used hyacinths (mine and my sister's favorite) because they smell amazing, they bloom each year, and they have perfect sized bulbs to fit so comfy inside the jar! You will also need some potting soil and some gardening twine (also found at the hardware store...I think I was the only woman in this store each time I visited :P).

These steps are super easy...see image below.



Wrap those babies with twine to "prettify" and to keep the rustic look prevalent.

These are great for table settings, party favors, hostess gifts, and just for a fun Spring project!

For the shower, we gave the guests a mason jar to take home and 3 days later the pictures and phone calls of the bloomed flowers started coming through at full force! Remember when I mentioned a key to a successful party is to keep your guests remembering what a great time they had? What better way to do this than to give them a flower that they can enjoy for weeks, and in this case, each and every year!

Give it a shot...Martha Stewart would be proud!

j


Happy Hobbying,

The Self Proclaimed, Renaissance Woman





No comments:

Post a Comment